Prior to joining Chambers Lucie was a partner and higher court advocate within a Legal 500 Tier 1 department at a large regional law firm. Lucie has over ten years’ experience in legal practice. Due to her experience, Lucie is currently undertaking a reduced pupillage under the supervision of Paul Whatley.Lucie is passionate about advocacy and conducts all types of hearings from interim applications to multi-day trials. She also regularly appears in the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber).Legal 500 - Recommended Lawyer 2019.
Main areas of practice:
Particular areas of expertise include:
- Antisocial behaviour and tenancy enforcement
- Tenancy fraud
- Possession against trespassers
- Mental health and mental capacity
- Disability, equality and human rights
- Leasehold, Right to Buy and Right to Acquire
- Policy and procedure review
- Successions / exchanges
- HMO and selective licensing including appeals
Particular areas of expertise include:
- Leasehold – residential and commercial
- Adverse possession
- Boundary disputes
- Proprietary estoppel
- Commercial lease disputes
Insolvency – personal and corporate
- Particular areas of expertise include:
- Director disqualification proceedings
- Wrongful and fraudulent trading
- Misfeasance proceedings
- Individual and company voluntary arrangements
Lucie regularly speaks at large-scale seminars and conferences. She has previously spoken at National Capita Conferences, CIH Conferences, Tenancy Fraud Forum and Resolve Events.
Lucie is happy to discuss cases over the telephone or by email on an informal basis, without the need for formal instructions.
"Lucie is renowned for giving advice in a user-friendly manner so it is understandable to everyone. Lucie's advice is always thorough and gives the company assurance and confidence in applying this advice to the situation in hand".
"Lucie was impeccable... I am in awe of what she worked to achieve".
"Lucie is a remarkable lawyer and advocate - she is formidable in Court."
"In Court, Lucie is tenacious, highly-competent and fearless".
Recent experience as a solicitor:
- Advocate in First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) final hearing representing Registered Provider following application brought by number of leaseholders in relation to liability to pay service charges, with potential significant financial implications for the Provider. Successfully defeated every challenge.
- Advocate in tenancy fraud trial. Following lengthy cross-examination of the defendant the Judge stated that she had come across as ‘inconsistent, downright contradictory and something of a stranger to the truth’.
- Advocate in trial for possession following failed succession, requiring significant legal argument regarding the application of Ground 7 where there had been no grant of probate and no letters of administration issued.
- Represented Registered Provider at trial in unlawful subletting claim against shared-owner. Persuaded the Court to find that the shared-owner was unlawfully subletting his apartment in central London whilst living abroad. Indefinite injunction subsequently obtained.
- Represented a Registered Provider in relation to property fraudulently purchased under the Right to Buy. Pre-action correspondence was sufficient to obtain very positive outcome, including the transfer back of the property, costs and lost rental income.
- Advocate in trial on behalf of Registered Provider against owner-occupier in claim based on trespass and nuisance. Successfully obtained an order requiring the owner-occupier to remove offending obstruction.
- Provided significant advice in relation to possible exemptions from the Rent Standard and 1% rent reductions for accommodation provided to the homeless.
- Obtained an order to strike out Defence based on Equality Act 2010 arguments at Pre-Trial Review hearing following significant oral submissions supported by skeleton argument.
University of York – Philosophy – First Class Degree with Honours (2005)
Lancashire Law School – Legal Practice Course – Distinction (2009)
Kaplan Altior – Higher Rights of Audience (2012)