Richard Oughton is Head of the Business and Property Department.
He took a double first in law at St John's College, Cambridge, before obtaining a Master of Laws degree at the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
He has extensive experience in all aspects of general chancery and commercial work with a particular emphasis on wills, trusts, succession and related areas of taxation, mortgages and secured lending, landlord and tenant (commercial and private sector-residential).
Author, Second and Third Editions Tyler's Family Provision
Assistant Editor, Tenth Edition and Supplement Fisher and Lightwood's Law of Mortgage
"Just a quick e-mail to thank you for your assistance and help with regards our appeal hearing. Mr Oughton and your chambers did a sterling job and we won the appeal, please pass on my gratitude to Mr Oughton."
"I thought yesterdays meeting was positive and we were very impressed with Mr Oughton. He seemed to have understood our problems and gave advice in a clear and simple way."
- Preston and Henderson v St Helens MBC (1989) 58 P & CR 500 (proprietary estoppel and compulsory purchase-Lands Tribunal)
- Lloyds Bank v Byrne  23 HLR 472 (sale of matrimonial home at the request of proprietor of charging order of one share only)
- Wayling v Jones (1995) 69 P & CR 170 (proprietary estoppel and family provision)
- Jyske Bank v Spjeldnaes (1996-7) (banking/fraud/tracing)
- British Railways Board v Smith (1997) (first Queen’s Bench Master’s Appointment by Video link)
- Sprung v Royal Insurance (first instance unreported) inability of insured to recover damages from an insurer for late payment of insurance monies. This case led to a Law Commission Report and was partially reversed by legislation.
- Re Levy Estate Trust  CLY 5263 (ability of trustees to act upon the footing that an elderly woman will not adopt a child)
- Lomax v Wood  EWCA Civ. 1099 (easements-right of way)
- Malory Enterprises Ltd v Cheshire Homes Ltd  Ch 216 (land registration-fraud/rectification/overriding interests). The House of Lords granted the Defendant leave to appeal-  1 WLR 3016 and the case was compromised two and a half weeks before the hearing of the Appeal upon the basis that the Land Registry paid both the Claimant and the Defendant a substantial Indemnity (including an Indemnity as to costs)
- Cook v J.D. Wetherspoon Ltd  EWCA Civ. 330 (construction of Transfer as to boundary)
- Walker v Walker  EWHC 597 (Ch);  W & TLR 1617 (contested removal of trustee)
- Re Tillotson, Re 2 Middleton Drive  EW Lands LP 56/2006 (successful opposition to application in Lands Tribunal to relax restrictive covenant to allow second house on plot in high class residential area)
- Land at Cae Hir  EW Lands LP 55/2006 (successful opposition to application in Lands Tribunal to remove restrictive covenant to allow housing development on field offering outstanding view)
- Musson v Bonner  W & TLR 1369 (beneficial ownership of joint bank account)
- Matila Ltd v Lisheen Ltd  EWHC (Ch) 1832 (sale of flats in a new development, purchaser failing to complete, judgment for over £2M obtained against purchaser and guarantors)
- Re Holy Trinity Platt (2012) 14 Ecclesiastical Law Society Journal 463 (re-ordering/removal of pews)
- Vaughan-Jones v Vaughan-Jones  EWHC 1086 (Ch);  W & TLR 1287 (rectification of Deed of Variation)
- Lenderink-Woods v Zurich Assurance  3634 (Ch) (negligence in selling insurance products in relation to Inheritance Tax planning-Defendant’s application for summary judgment dismissed)
- Lloyd v Jones  EWHC 1308 (Ch) (Contentious Probate-Want of Capacity and Want of Knowledge and Approval)
- Lenderink-Woods v Zurich Assurance  3287 (Ch) (negligence in selling insurance products in relation to Inheritance Tax planning-judgment at trial for Claimant)
- Dhaliwal v Hussain and Bachada  EWHC 2655 (Ch) (Misrepresentation upon a sale of a dental practice)
- Venuscare Ltd v Cumbria  EWHC 3268 (Admin) (Appeal against the making of a Traffic Management Order)
- Venuscare Ltd v Burge Halston Ltd REF/2019/0113 First Tier Tribunal (Land Registration) (Construction of a conveyance and application of horizontal (or “angel cake”) division of ownership)
- Rock Ferry Waterfront Trust v Pennistone Holdings Ltd  EWHC 3007 (Ch) (Proprietary estoppel, Land Charges Act, equitable notice and actual occupation for land registration); affirmed  EWCA Civ. 1029 (affirmed on the issue of actual occupation-Malory v Cheshire not followed on this point).
- Scott v Martin (Land Registration-Boundary Dispute)  UKUT 31 (LC)
- Handrikman v Heslam  UKUT 56 (LC)
- Crook v Zurich Assurance REF/2019/1066 First Tier Tribunal (Land Registration) (Important case on resolving uncertainty as to the time when reasonable belief as to ownership was relevant in claiming adverse possession of registered land)
- Northern Ireland Bar
- Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners
- Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists
- Chancery Bar Association
- Northern Chancery Bar Association (Secretary 1995-7)